Summary of 2021
A month has passed since 2021 turned into 2022, putting another crazy and unpredictable year to rest. Looking back, it was a very special year for everyone. We all hoped that the vaccinations would pave way towards a more normalized environment. Vaccinations came, they where delivered (with questionable fairness…) and they were injected. We all know that things didn’t normalize and still hasn’t. I’m not planning on getting into a guessing game on what the new normal is and when we’re seeing the end of the pandemic. It’s here and it’s here to stay, so we might as well get used to it!
Putting 2021 in perspective, I would say that it’s probably been the year with most assignments and the year where I’ve worked more than ever. I’m very happy about this and this shouldn’t be interpreted as me complaining. I’m very grateful and it’s been a proper challenge. A summary of the past year.
- Five conducted sustainability advisories and evaluations of individual businesses. Carl Larsson-gården, Falu Gruva, Fjätervålen, PS Occasion and Vasaloppet.
- Analyzed and evaluated the destinations of Malung-Sälen, Smedjebacken and Hedemora in Dalarna.
- Trained some 100 current and future colleagues of the Swedish travel trade at YrkesAkademin, Akademi Båstad and Frans Schartau on sustainable tourism development – four different courses in total.
- Seven speaking gigs, delivering some inspirational stuff on sustainable tourism development on behalf of Destination Halmstad, Travel Education Center, Skåne Sydost, SKÅL Sweden, YrkesAkademin, Haman Scandinavia and Visit Dalarna.
- Participation in two podcasts on my experiences over the years, on how the travel and tourism industry has embraced the subject of sustainability. Something completely new to me but certainly something I’d like to do more of.
- Invited as a “fly on the wall” during the final EarthCheck certification process of Järvsö, with Destination Järvsö as fantastic hosts!
- Joined the Tenson Community with Purpose team as a brand ambassador and evaluator.
- Lastly, which is a milestone in itself, a full year without setting foot in another country having spent the full 365 in Sweden. That is a new one for certain!
Putting 2021 in perspective, I would say that it’s probably been the year with most assignments and the year where I’ve worked more than ever. I’m very happy about this and this shouldn’t be interpreted as me complaining. I’m very grateful and it’s been a proper challenge. It becomes more and more evident that sustainability is now one of the guests at the head table.
2021 also came with a promise of making Sweden a world leader on sustainable tourism by 2030, as the new strategy of our visitor economy was presented. We have eight years to make it happen people, so let’s join hands and work together towards this goal.
Thanks to all of you who made all of this happen, Kristin Lundén, Lena Flodin, Karolina Stockhaus, Hanna Anfelter, Ulrika Andersson, Caroline Staaf, Jessica Johansson, Sara Eriksson, Nahed Alwani, Frida Lundqvist, Anna-Lena Wallin, Chris Doyle, Elin Andreasson, Henrik Johansson, Linnea Johansson, Mats Rylander, Cecilia Eliaeson, Daniel Frey, Andre Russ, Karolina Davidsson and Christian von Essen.
A very special and warm thank you to Dan Jonasson for your inspiration, knowledge and mentorship!
If I could ask for one thing in 2022, it is more of the same which 2021 provided please!